LED signs are available in a very large number of sizes. How can you determine which size will be most effective in your area? Think about the frustration and frustration that occurs when a new sign is installed and the letters are too small to be read by viewers. Or the letters are big enough, but there is not enough room in the display area for the full message. So, those who come back, just see some of what you want them to read. Understanding distance learning, character height, pixel matrix and resolution (or pitch) will help you make an informed decision.
Distance learning is considered a factor in determining the size of the LED sign you need. In addition to the actual distance between the panel and your target audience, it is important to consider how they can view the panel. Do they walk/stand or drive? If you drive, what is the speed of traffic? The answers to these questions will determine how much staff will be most effective at your location.
- The recommended rule of thumb is that the height of the characters/letters / text on your sign should be 1 “for every 30 feet of viewing distance. The maximum acceptable distance is 50 ‘by 1”. In other words, if you stand 150 feet from a street-level sign, the letters should be 6 “high with the recommended rule of thumb: at 600 feet from 55 mph, the letters should measure 20 inches.
- Beyond the height of the letters, it is important to consider the number of lines of text and the number of letters that correspond to the width of the display area. This will determine if your audience can read your entire message before it goes out. Do not worry. The LED Pixel Matrix is designed to tell you what you need to know.
- An LED pixel matrix indicates the number of text columns that your screen will display and how many characters correspond to the entire display area. The pixel matrix is determined by multiplying the number of pixels vertically by the number of pixels horizontally. For example, a pixel matrix of 16×80 means that the display area is composed of 16 vertical pixels and 80 horizontal lines.
- The number of vertical lines determines how many lines of text your sign will display. An LED display requires 7 pixels x 5 pixels to display standard English characters. For multiple lines of text, an eighth line is needed to separate the lines. Therefore, an LED sign with a line of 16 pixels will display 2 lines of text, a sign with 24 line pixels will display 3 lines of text, 32 line pixels will display 4 lines, and so on.
- It is important that the number of characters displayed across the sign at a time is important. Six columns of pixels are required to display each standard English standard. A sign with 64-pixel columns will display 10 characters in total, the 80 pillar columns will display 13 characters, and so on.
Finally, ignore the resolution, which is also called Pitch, referring to the best type of LED sign for your location. Resolution is the level of brightness and clarity of a displayed image and this is a factor that greatly affects the price of the sign. Higher resolution means more diodes and more circuitry, which usually means higher costs. The total resolution of a signal is determined by Pitch: Measurement bеtwееn pixels. A pixel mау consist оf a single diode оr a group оf ѕеvеrаl diodes operating оn thе ѕаmе circuit. In ѕuсh cases, thе distance bеtwееn thе center оf a diode аnd thе center оf аnоthеr diode (usually іn millimeters) refers tо thе pitch. Thе smaller thе pitch number, thе higher thе resolution. Longer vision requires lеѕѕ resolution, whіlе a shorter viewing distance requires higher resolution.